Thursday, February 24, 2011

Stock part two: Oh yeah, vegetables!

Since I said I could go on I will, because I left so much out the last time. I'll even give you a recipe!

This recipe is for a white stock, which basically means you're not roasting the bones or the veggies before you cook it.

For one gallon of stock:

5-6 lbs of bones (chicken or veal)
1 lb mirepoix (8 oz Onion, 4 oz celery, 4 oz carrot, peeled)
5-6 quarts water (which is about enough to cover plus 1 ")
1 Sachet: thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns, parsley stems, whole cloves, and garlic cloves(if you want)

The sachet can be any or all of those things depending on what flavors you want. But remember this: NEVER ADD SALT to the stock, it should be flavorful enough. Once you've put your soup together, you can adjust the seasoning then.

Now onto your carrots and celery, I recommend cutting them on the bias, more surface area= more flavor. Please don't fuss over how perfectly they are cut. Just quarter your onion and be done with it! If you feel you must fuss over something, fuss over how clean they are.

Throw it all into a pot, cover and bring to a boil( I know I said no boiling, but if you want to sit around all day while 6 quarts of water comes to a simmer be my guest,and congrats on having all that free time) then SIMMER  for 3-4 hours for chicken bones and 6-8 hours for veal/beef bones. I'm not going to lie to you- veal bones are hard to find and if you DO find them they are expensive because restaurants have dibs on them. Maybe you could try oxtail, usually they have beef bones kicking around the supermarket, ask around. There are also ham bones which if you are feeling saucy, save and freeze, or pick some up at the supermarket.

But what about fish stock Angela? Ugh. Why would you want your house smelling like that? Cod bones are good, any bony white fish really just don't use salmon its WAY too fishy(a seasoned chef said it to me, so it must be bad).

NO stirring, boiling, covering or salt. Skim the scum. We'll talk about cooling and storing tomorrow. If you MUST know now, let me know.

3 comments:

  1. how big should my pot be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe Ang, and for making my life easier :) Recipe's are great for people that just can't "create" with food.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well an 8 quart pot should be good, if you look on the bottom of your biggest spaghetti pot, it should tell you how much it can hold. If not, break it down into two smaller pots and you should be fine.

    ReplyDelete