Monday, August 1, 2011

Swimming upstream

You know, I work part-time in the basement of a convent. I make decent money, make decent food, but there are days when I go "I paid 40,000 bucks to make hot dogs?" That's on my more tired days. Yes, I do make hot dogs on Saturdays, but its an old New England tradition to have Franks and Beans on Saturdays, and my sisters (nuns) love these simple dishes.

Today for instance, is the day I make Grilled Cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. One of the sisters came in and said "Did you make our favorite?" I can't help but smile, they live so simply and little things like that make them so happy (at least the sisters at my convent anyway).

But you know, I did spend a lot on my education. I should probably be working at Menton or the French Laundry or something. I have a few friends that do work at really fancy places. I have one that complains that what he cooks isn't worthy of his degree. He works at an outside bar attached to a very wonderful and posh restaurant on a beach making things like lobster rolls and nachos. I have come to this conclusion: Maybe we shouldn't worry so much  about what we're cooking, so long as we're cooking it well. Respecting the food we cook is the basic tenet of being a chef (that and never try to catch a falling knife).

I need to say this: Molecular Gastronomy is a fad. Yeah, it is pretty cool that you can make "caviar" out of any liquid (like pureed cantaloupe) with a few chemicals and  rubber tubing.  Then you get to pay 33 bucks for four cantaloupe pearls in some kind of sauce with a sprinkling of mache. Wow, I might need a doggy bag! Let me loosen my belt.

Please don't misunderstand me: there are people in this world who take food to magnificent level via Molecular gastronomy. It just will never be me. I will stay with my regular old cooking skills thanks. You can always try to persuade me otherwise.

1 comment:

  1. I love cantaloupe. I especially love slicing cantaloupe. The sweet, sticky goodness of that wonderful melon...

    ReplyDelete